Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Value of Museum Sites to Educators
Most museums have a tab dedicated to educational resources on their sites. Teacher resources are often divided by grade level so you have quick access to age appropriate material.
American Memory - invaluable resources for teachers & how to use resources in the classroom. Also has a "today's date in history" section; Much historic video, audio, and photos.
Smithsonian - left menu has links to separate sections for kids, another for teachers. Also tabs for Exhibitions and Research.
Museum Meta Sites
Your favorite museum not listed in the box to the right? Try these links:
Selected Museum Sites
- American Art Museum - part of the Smithsonian in Washington, D.C.
- Art Institute of Chicago - Online resources of interest to teachers, students, and parents, including classroom lessons plans and at home projects
- British Museum - over 5,000 artifacts in high quality images, 50 tours, wealth of links
- Colonial Williamsburg
- Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco
- Historic New England
- The J. Paul Getty Museum - Opened in 1978, collection includes artifacts from medieval manuscripts to modern sculptures
- The Kennedy Center's Arts Edge - The Curriculum Studio has lesson plans and the For Students page offers links to research and student artwork sites
- The Louvre (Paris) - versions available in either English or French
- Museum of Fine Arts, Boston
- Metropolitan Museum of Art - New York City
- Museum of Modern Art (MOMA) - New York City
- National Gallery of Art - Includes Education Resources, Teaching Resources, information about distance learning, and a wealth of detail about the Gallery's collections in Washington, D.C.
- National Gallery - London
- Old Sturbridge Village
- Plimoth Plantation
- Preservation Society of Newport County
- Vatican Museums Online - Four online tours through the collections in the Vatican Museums; access to collections which can often be viewed with a "zoom in" feature.
- Whitney Museum of American Art
- Worcester Art Museum